|Did you know that up to 70% of our drinking water is used to water lawns and
landscaping and most is wasted.
Tips to Save on Outdoor Watering Here are a few tips to cut down on outdoor watering.
- Adjust sprinkler heads so they do not spray onto paved areas such as
sidewalks, streets or driveways.
- Adjust or deactivate automatic sprinklers when it’s cool or overcast. Turn sprinklers off
when it’s raining. Water during the cool parts of the day. Early morning is
better than dusk since it helps prevent the growth of disease & fungus.
- Don't water the lawn on windy days. There's too much evaporation.
- Don’t overwater. Too much water can harm plants – as much if not more – than
- Consider installing or upgrading to weather-smart irrigation controllers for
your sprinkler system. They adjust the amount and timing of watering
depending on the weather – that’s why they are “smart” and save you time and
money in the long run.
- Consider installing water efficient sprinkler nozzles or MP rotating nozzles to irrigate your lawn.
- “Go native” with California Friendly and drought resistant plants. Replace
high-water-using trees and plants with less thirsty ones that require about
two-thirds less water to thrive than non-native plants.
- Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants. Chunks of bark, peat moss or
gravel retains moisture to slow down evaporation.
- Set lawn mower blades one notch higher. Longer grass means less evaporation.
Landscape Water Evaluations
Camrosa offers Free Landscape Water Evaluations that will help you learn how to conserve water and help
you save money.
important step towards saving water is to understand where your water is
currently being used. In single family homes, landscape irrigation can be the
largest single component of your water consumption. An experienced
irrigation surveyor will help you examine the particular needs of your
household. By reviewing your landscape and irrigation systems, this free service can help you and your landscape professional identify ways to conserve
water and lower your water bill.
complimentary water survey, the surveyor will:
For additional program information or to schedule a free
Landscape Water Evaluation, please contact our customer service
representatives at 388-0226.
Outdoor Landscape Resources
- Perform a meter leak
- Check you irrigation system
for needed maintenance.
- Suggest seasonal adjustments
for your individual watering schedule.
- Check your soil to be sure
your watering schedule matches your soil's ability to absorb water.
- Discuss proper lawn
maintenance measures such as aeration, thatching, and proper mowing height.
- Offer tips on low-water use
landscaping, where appropriate.